POINTS OF INTEREST – 2
From the last 2-car ferry in Missouri to a viewing platform suspended above an underground lake, there’s several interesting places to visit.
Laura Ingalls Wilder
Historic Home & Museum
- Tours are available of the home
This home on the Rocky Ridge Farm in Mansfield is where Laura, Almanzo, and Rose lived when they moved to Missouri in 1894.
57 miles From West Plains
Take Highway 63 north toward Willow Springs. Stay on 63 North and 60 West at the junction. Continue on Highway 60 west at Cabool. Past Norwood take the exit ramp for Y Highway. At the top of the ramp, turn left and cross the overpass. Then turn right on Old Highway 60 and A Highway. In 5 miles, the entrance to the museum will be on the left.
- 1.5 million acres in 29 counties in Missouri
- More than 750 miles of trails
- More than 350 miles of streams suitable for floating canoeing or kayaking
8 miles From West Plains
To reach the forest that is closest to West Plains, take Highway 63 north toward Willow Springs. Turn left at Pomona on P Highway.
North Fork Recreational Area
- Ridge Runner National Recreational Trail and the Blue Spring Trail
- Area rebuilt after the Flood of 2017
18 miles From West Plains
Take CC Highway west from Highway 63 in West Plains. In 17.5 miles, the North Fork Recreation Area will be on the left.
Ozark National Scenic
- First National Park to protect a river system
- Current and Jacks Fork Rivers
- Hundreds of freshwater springs, caves, trails and historic sites
70 miles From West Plains
To reach the Visitor Information Center, take Highway 63 north toward Willow Springs. Just before Willow Springs, take Highway 60 east toward Mountain View. Continue on Highway 60 east to Van Buren. After crossing the Current River, turn left on James Street then turn right on Main Street. In less than a quarter mile, turn left on Watercress Road. The Visitor Center will be on the right.
- Trail and a creek overlook
16 miles From West Plains
Take Highway 160 west toward Caulfield. Turn left on JJ Highway. In 8.5 miles turn left on County Road 8110. In less than a mile, turn left on County Road 9720. The entrance is on the left.